[c-nsp] Understanding A9K Power Status

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Thu Feb 2 13:47:09 EST 2017

Hey there,

According to the A9K HW installation guide, for the 9010 chassis, there are two slots for power shelves, and depending on whether it’s a V1 or V2 power shelf, each power shelf can hold up to 3 or 4 power modules, respectively.

I have a bunch of these boxes, some running XR5.3, some running 4.3.

1:  I have a 5.3 box with V1 power system.  Only one power shelf is wired at the moment, but there are two power modules in each of the two power shelfs.  Based on the all the physical labelling, the power modules are installed in M0 and M1 and the cabling is wired to M0 and M1.  When I look at the environment, the output says M0 and M2 instead of M0 and M1:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:#admin show environment power-supply
Thu Feb  2 10:04:18.143 EST
R/S/I   Modules         Capacity        Status
                        (W)
0/PS0/M0/*
        host    PM      0               Error (status bits read failed)

0/PS0/M2/*
        host    PM      0               Error (status bits read failed)

0/PS1/M0/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

0/PS1/M2/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

Is it likely that this is a bug whose ID I haven’t been able to find?

2:  I have two 4.3 box, one with a V1 power system, and the other with a V2 power system.  Each has two power shelves fully wired, with a various numbers of power modules in each of the two power shelves.  When I look at the environment, it makes no distinction between whether or not the power modules are connected to shelf 1 (0/PS0) or shelf 2 (0/PS1) like it does in the 5.3 system.

Would it be fair to say then, that it’s an XR5.3 thing, which has some hooks in it that makes the distinction between which which power shelf a power module is inserted into?  If so, can anyone point me to some docs that might point to that feature?  The new HW/SW features in the release notes between 4.3.4 and 5.3.4 don’t seem to have anything there.

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:R1#admin show environment power-supply
Thu Feb  2 13:24:22.579 EST
R/S/I   Modules         Capacity        Status
                        (W)
0/PM0/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

0/PM1/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

0/PM4/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:R2#admin show env power-supply
Thu Feb  2 13:25:30.520 EST
R/S/I   Modules         Capacity        Status
                        (W)
0/PM0/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

0/PM1/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

0/PM2/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

0/PM3/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

0/PM4/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

0/PM5/*
        host    PM      2100            Ok

3:  Is the CLI for determining whether or not the box has a V1, V2 power system?

Thanks in advance!