[c-nsp] Tabo Topic? Third party Maintenance

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 03:39:03 EST 2017

Turns out this information is "kinda" hidden in various pdfs see for
example Cisco TAC time presentations or cisco live about "what does sw
version X bring over version Y to the table"

-pavel

Dňa 27.1.2017 11:24 používateľ "James Bensley" <jwbensley at gmail.com>
napísal:

On 24 January 2017 at 17:54, Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/24/17, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also a month or two after our bug scrub was completed the new major
>> milestone/stable versions of code for the devices we had tested was
>> released (our scrub was finished when "X" was the stable recommend
>> version) so we said to our AS engineer "now that X+1 is out, and you
>> recommended X, do you think we should go for X" and they obviously
>> said "yes".
>
> Interesting..  I'd get an offer for a bug scrub on the new version.

Sorry that was a typo, should have been "X+1":

so we said to our AS engineer "now that X+1 is out, and you
recommended X, do you think we should go for X+1" and they obviously
said "yes".

So I'm implying here the bug scrub was a waste of time.

>> If you have the resources then I'm not such a fan of this service.
>
> On the other hand, when Cisco does a bug scrub they see _all_ the
> bugs, not just the publicly visible ones.  There's been a couple of
> times I've gone back & forth with our AS engineer about the details of
> some bug that had no public description & a time or two when he
> suggested we hold off on an upgrade until after the psirt
> announcement.

So something that Cisco don't do which is very annoying is show all
their bugs and bug stats. I have clicked on a bug countless times that
affects us on cisco.com and then I get the page "this is an internal
bug, how did you hear about this?" and I have to ask TAC to tell me
about the bug. They should also be releasing bug stats: how many
people filed bugs for feature X with firmware Y on device Z. What is
the bug fix rate for X, Y and X etc. Is the rate of bug reports for
new-ish-platform P starting to decresae now? Has the fix rate for
old-ish-platform O tailed off now?

Cheers,
James.