[c-nsp] BGP Route Reflector Case

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Feb 23 21:46:59 EST 2017

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 4:37 AM, Pierre Emeriaud <petrus.lt at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Local market route
>> reflectors do solve the issue of sub-optimal routing from a local market
>> perspective.
>

> There is another solution to that. Use Add-path
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7911) and Optimal route reflexion
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-13)
> on the central RR.
>
> Each peer group with an IGP reference (to compute a "local spf") can
> replace a local RR. We're using it with IS-IS, not sure about ospf
> support.

I would urge some caution here depending on what number of routes you are doing this with, keep a close eye on the 32-bit boundaries of BGP on XR.  While your RP may have >4G of memory, the level where BGP will choke upon itself is much lower.  Additionally you need to know to restart the BPM process vs the BGP process when this happens as it will not automatically recover.  Few people know about the BPM process and the role it plays.

- jared