[c-nsp] Segment Routing

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 12:03:03 EST 2017

If you have an existing network running LDP/6PE for years and aren’t looking to do much else other than support basic MPLS services, there isn’t a whole lot of incentive to move to SPRING.  At the end of the day SPRING is just another control-plane and piggybacks onto an existing routing protocols instead of running a separate protocol.

Most of the interesting things with SPRING come from the fact you are using global deterministic labels, or at least indexes.  Using anycast SIDs you can easily point traffic through a transit area, to a specific peering location, or if you have a dual-plane network it’s easy to add a label to steer traffic to a specific plane.

Right now there are still lots of RSVP-TE applications not supported by SPRING in a distributed network, like bandwidth reservations for instance.  I think most of those applications come over time, or things migrate to doing all of them using a centralized PCE, but it hasn’t happened yet.   There is definitely a strong movement towards it and is why you see full support from Juniper and Nokia now.   If I was building a greenfield network I would definitely use it instead of LDP.

Phil