[c-nsp] netflow restrictions on ASR920

Nick Cutting ncutting at edgetg.com
Wed Jan 11 22:14:24 EST 2017

o    Ok I am about to configure this on an ASR-920-4SZ-A

I am seeing some alarming restrictions in the configuration guide:

Restrictions for Netflow Monitoring for ASR 920 Series Routers
*         Netflow monitoring supports only the 7 keys-Source IP, Destination IP, Layer 3 protocol type, TOS, source port, destination port and input logical interface to identify or classify the flow for both IPv4 and IPv6 unicast traffic. All other keys are notsupported.
*         MPLS and BGP-based netflow is not supported.
*         Non-key fields supported are packets and bytes (collect counter packets and collect counter bytes)
*         Only routed ports (IP Ethernet, BDI) and EFP are supported.
*         EFP flow monitoring can be configured only after configuring bridge-domain on the EFP service instance.
*         Flow monitoring of multicast traffic is not supported.
*         Maximum of 16K flows can only be learnt due to FPGA limitations. Though, Netflow supports 16K entries, flows monitored are lower due to hash collisions.
*         FPGA monitor only 1Gbps traffic rate (with minimum frame size of 100 byte). The accounting is accurate only when the overall traffic monitored is within 1Gbps.
*         At interface level, MVPN/MLDP/SPAN/PBR feature cannot be enabled on the same interface with Netflow configuration.
*         Permanent and aggregate flow caches are not supported due to FPGA limitations.
Configuration of caches entries number is not supported.
*         SADT/BFD feature cannot co-exist with Netflow configurations for the following routers:
o    ASR-920-12CZ-A
o    ASR-920-12CZ-D
o    ASR-920-4SZ-A
o    ASR-920-4SZ-D
o    ASR-920-12SZ-IM
o    ASR-920-16CZ-IM

  *

So If I am reading this correctly - my 10gig link will not have correct information when the traffic goes over 1 gig in untilization?
Is this due to the ASIC FPGA logic on this hardware?

I cannot use PBR on this interface
And I cannot enable BFD?

Am I missing something or this is a bit of an afterthought for this router?
Any help/experience greatly appreciated

Nick