[c-nsp] ASR-920 - Remote UPGRADE

Emille Blanc emille at abccommunications.com
Fri Jan 13 14:16:34 EST 2017

We've not run into any post-upgrade operational problems so far.  The only 'excitement' we've encountered is some automatic FPGA upgrades between some images.
No problems with that process to date, but it does cause some nail biting as the router takes 10-15 minutes to complete this process and a couple of extra reboots. Fans tend to spin up 100% while this happens, something to be mindful of if you have a power budget.

"Cisco IOS XE on Cisco ASR 920 Series Router (ASR-920-24SZ-IM) supports upgradeable firmware for field programmable hardware devices such as interface modules (IMs) and upgrades IM FPGA when ever there is an upgrade."
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/hardware/chassis/guide/ASR920-Chassis-SW/SW_Install_Upgrade.html

ASR920 FPGA version support is explained a little more here;
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/release/notes/ASR920_rel_notes/intro.html