[c-nsp] Tabo Topic? Third party Maintenance

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 08:07:47 EST 2017

On 24 January 2017 at 12:46,  <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:
>> James Bensley
>> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:15 AM
>>
>> On 23 January 2017 at 17:16, Rick Martin <rick.martin at arkansas.gov> wrote:
>> >

>> It’s fucking expensive to have fully loaded ASR9000 chassis just sitting around
>> in a cupboard ready to go.
>
> That's what lab equipment is for, although what are the chances to ever need to completely replace a fully populated ASR9k.

Right but you need (at least) one chassis, one PSU, one fan tray, one
of each line card, etc ec, although two of each is better as you don't
want to unwrap something and found out its fooked. So you (we) end up
with enough to make up a fully loaded chassis.

> You'd normally need at least one piece of every type of equipment used in the network.
> But these spare parts are not sitting on a shelf, they are used daily to test migrations, new services,...  ,at least you know they are working when you need them.

Well for us there is a stark difference. Firstly the lab isn't within
SLA time of the entire UK so logistically it doesn't work for us.
Secondly since this is a Cisco mailing list, specifically for Cisco
they do a not-for-resale type discount which we use to buy lab
equipment, we get something crazy like 70% off list price and the kit
is not to be used for revenue generating purposes (i.e. deployed into
the production network). Thirdly depending on your churn rate, it's
not helpful to have kit being used in the lab ripped out in the middle
of the night and curried off to a remote PoP when the lab is being
used to PoC or debug some time sensitive or live network issue.

As before, "your requirements are not mine" blah blah blah, IANAL,
customers, SLAs, FML.

Cheers,
James.