[c-nsp] ASR920 - ingress/egress MPLS label limit

Marcin Kurek md.kurek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 03:45:02 EST 2017

Hi all,

I came across the following label allocation limit on ASR920
(ASR-920-24SZ-IM) platform:

ASR920#show platform hardware pp active sdm current
CYLON_NUM_MPLS_INGRESS_LABELS        =      38912
CYLON_NUM_MPLS_EGRESS_LABELS         =      28500

I understand that egress labels are locally generated labels advertised
to peers. Ingress labels are received from remote peers. What I don't
understand is how to interpret this ingress limit.

If there is a limit on labels received from peers, does it affect VPN
labels too? For example, if I receive 10 000 prefixes from remote PE
(per-prefix label allocation), does it mean that I've just used 10 000
out of 38912 limit?

Thanks,
Marcin Kurek