[c-nsp] Nexus 7707 as Internet Edge Router?

Rick Martin rick.martin at arkansas.gov
Tue Jul 25 18:02:54 EDT 2017

We have solicited quote from our local, and normally very trusted, Cisco partner for Internet Edge Router with 10X10G towards service provider and 2X40G towards our network. Current deployment will be two 2X10G LAG bundles to ISP's (40G), this will be replacing current MX104.

I did not specify what Cisco platform, I expected them to come back with ASR 1006 or better. I did specifically state that I did not personally believe that Nexus was the right platform - but they came back with a very low ball bid on Nexus 7707. They knew they were up against Juniper MX platform...

I cannot find much on this particular router - um, switch online so I would like to seek the knowledge of this group to see what your thoughts are on this platform for Internet edge router.

We only accept default from service provider (BGP) so route table size is not currently an issue. We have the normal Internet edge stuff going on but nothing too heavy, no tunneling or other highly complex configuration.

We are virtually all Cisco in our statewide network and have a fair amount of N9K serving us in the data center as well as customer Ethernet aggregation. The only area Cisco has consistently  lost on our network for the past 10+ years has been at our Internet edge locations (3 currently) so I believe they are doing everything they can to win...

I value any thoughts from any of you. If you have knowledge that this is or is not a suitable platform for this area on our network I would love to learn about it.

Thanks in advance
rick