[c-nsp] Nexus 7707 as Internet Edge Router?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jul 28 03:27:40 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 09:27:36PM -0400, Phil Bedard wrote:
> Do you require something with redundant RPs?  The fixed NCS5001/NCS5501 would probably fit what you need well if you don???t.  The chassis based NCS systems are a bit overkill for your needs.  The NCS5XXX were mainly pitched to larger providers originally with their own account teams so I don???t think much info on them has trickled down to VARs yet.  If you have any questions let me know.

"Anything detailed" you have on the NCS5* would be welcome - the material
on www.cisco.com is a bit sparse.

Since we're considering to either go for QFX5100 or NCS5* for bandwidth
expansion in our "core" (= no customer connections, no external connections,
all 10G links, not much demand for QoS due to DWDM underlay where we can
just add more bandwidth if needed), understanding how Cisco positions the
NCS5001 series and whether this is a one-off thing that will be end-of-life
next year ("remember the ME3600?") or something which is going to receive
proper love and caring is one of the most important questions here...

And then, what features it gets - the first list on cisco.com was
amazingly thin on details, but one of the interesting bits was "no
support for EIGRP", which I find highly astonishing - you have a vendor
that has a nice customer-lock-in feature, purely control-plane (so,
no need to do hardware-specific coding), and they... forget to enable it?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de