[c-nsp] OT Solarwinds Alternatives

Andrew Thrift andrew at networklabs.co.nz
Fri Jul 28 04:20:11 EDT 2017

We undertook a year long evaluation of NMS's and are now moving to
NetXMS from PRTG, we found like Jerry that PRTG was more suited to
enterprise than to SP's.

Why we chose NetXMS:
- Desktop client that runs on Linux, Windows, OSX
- Desktop client and Web UI have the same layout
- Uses standard SQL databases, e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL
- High performance polling engine
- Agent/Proxy/Server model
- Has the ability to set up teamplates, and then when devices are
added NetXMS only polls the OID's in the template, rather than walking
the entire tree on the device.
- Has the ability to disable polling the routing table on a per device basis

The other thing we liked is that even though it is opensource you can
get paid support.

The learning curve is steep, but it is worth it to have a clean NMS
that performs well.

Check out www.netxms.org or Tomas's excellent tutorials at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-u-UDM7vBU&list=PLt3aE2eGS5P9L72H82S83MrKx2uz5x8gv

Regards,