[c-nsp] Nexus 7707 as Internet Edge Router?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jul 28 05:42:25 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:39:02AM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Gert Doering wrote:
> > And then, what features it gets - the first list on cisco.com was
> > amazingly thin on details, but one of the interesting bits was "no
> > support for EIGRP", which I find highly astonishing - you have a vendor
> > that has a nice customer-lock-in feature, purely control-plane (so,
> > no need to do hardware-specific coding), and they... forget to enable it?
>
> But no-one in the SP world uses EIGRP anyway so this is a moot point, right?
>
> Right??

That's one of the problems with Cisco as of the last few years, that they
do not understand that there is no hard distinction between "Enterprise",
"SP" and "Datacenter" anymore.

So having dedicated product lines that always miss something crucial because
"no, that feature is only for the other market" really stinks.

(Now, why wouldn't an enterprise customer use an NCS5001?  "Can we please
give Cisco the money, instead of buying a QFX5100 for 20% less money,
and then having to change our IGP"?)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de