[c-nsp] Setting relay agent IP on 4500

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Mon Jul 31 11:05:34 EDT 2017

> On Jul 29, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Nathan Lannine <nathan.lannine at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> The issue is the 4500 stamps the relay agent IP in the DISCOVER as
>>> being the incoming interface IP where the DISCOVER was received,
>
> Yeah, that's expected and required behavior.  I sort of assumed, as
> Mr. Mayer indicated, that the "global" option would still set the
> giaddr to the receiving vrf gateway address, but set the source to
> some address in the global table.

It does indeed work as you expect, and the server tries to send the OFFER to the giaddr, which is not reachable from the global table because the giaddr is in a (different) VRF.

> It never occurred to me that a dhcp server would not support this behavior.

Perhaps there is a DHCP server setting to send OFFER/ACK/etc to the source IP of the received packet instead, and just use the giaddr to signal the server which subnet to allocate an IP from...

> We accomplish this with intervrf routing and leave out the "global"
> option, which keeps the discovers/requests in the vrf and sourced from
> the vrf gateway address.

Today, we do this using ISC DHCP with multiple interfaces, and each interface is in whatever VRF (or global) it is required to be in, in order to provide reachability from the server back to the client.  It’s all fine and good.  We are looking to move to a commercial appliance, but unfortunately these appliance don’t support multiple interfaces, so I’m faced with either buying one appliance per VRF, or finding a way to collapse multiple relays all existing in different VRFs into one.  I’m having success finding the hooks to do this on some platforms (ME3600), but not others (4500).