[c-nsp] Migrating multi 1Gb port-chan member ints to 10G .....possible withot having to create a new portchan?

CiscoNSP List CiscoNSP_list at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:25:42 EDT 2017

I dont believe that you can remove all of a portcchan's member Ints (Ive not tested this, but read a forum post were someone was attempting something similar (1G->10G), and the router threw an error when attempting to remove the last 1G Int (Something along the lines of "portchan cannot be without physical interfaces due to sub-interfaces, at least one physical interface must be in the portchan")...I also had a quick look at the 1x10GSPA (SPA-1X10GE-L-V2 (XFP)), and I dont believe they are dual rate...ie dont support manual setting of speed/duplex....We have tested with an older lab switch (2960), manually setting ports to 100M (that are Gb Ints)...with 2 "100M ports" in the portchan, if you try to add the "1G" ports, it complains:

 %EC-5-CANNOT_BUNDLE2: Gi1/0/25 is not compatible with Gi1/0/1 and will be suspended (speed of Gi1/0/25 is 1000M, Gi1/0/1 is 100M)
 %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/25, changed state to down

Then removing the 2 x "100M" ports from portchan, the 2 x "1G" ports automatically came up, and stayed up, and portchan remained up....Im hoping we see similar behavior on the ASR1K/4500X (Under maintenance window, so small outage is ok).

Thanks