[c-nsp] monitor primary and secondary IP address traffic separately over SNMP

tim at pelican.org tim at pelican.org
Tue Mar 7 11:29:56 EST 2017

On Tuesday, 7 March, 2017 15:53, "Martin T" <m4rtntns at gmail.com> said:

> While I have done very little testing, then essentially this seems to
> work. However, this counts only ingress traffic. In addition, I wonder
> does such configuration have any noticeable affect on router CPU?
> Model is Cisco 2921 and traffic is ~100Mbps.

My experience across the board for ISRG2 is that applying a service policy reduces your throughput by anything up to 90%.  (Yes, 90% *reduction*, i.e. only 10% of the original throughput).  Conversations with the BU confirm that this is expected behaviour, but I don't believe I've explicitly tested it with *only* an inbound "counting" service policy.

For IMIX traffic, I'm getting around 450Mb/s out of a 2921 with no service policy, 70Mb/s with an outbound QoS policy.  Those are symmetric bi-directional, so in Cisco-speak, a total of 900Mb/s or 140Mb/s throughput, split between upstream and downstream as you wish.

Regards,
Tim.