[c-nsp] Nexus OIDs

Paul Koch paul.koch137 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 08:39:37 EDT 2017

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:56:08 +0000
Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> Paul Koch wrote:
> > Yer, OID numbers are "only" meant to be used under the hood.  People
> > should really be using MIB module/object names.
>
> only if you like nondeterministic snmp.

Hmm, odd comment.  Don't understand what you mean.  The mib is the
"definitive" source for name to oid resolution.

Crap like net-snmp is one of the major issues in the industry, especially
vendors who use it as an agent.

>  You need to be enormously
> careful what ends up in your MIB pile if you intend object names to work
> reliably.

We only get mibs directly from vendors (via customers), not from free
downloads sites, which are usually so outdated they are useless.  We also fix
all the syntax errors in vendor mibs before including them in our
repository.  We can't fix definition errors though (e.g. objects defined as
DisplayString instead of enumerated types).  Many vendors are hopeless at
mibs.

	Paul.