[c-nsp] Typhoon support on XRe

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon May 1 13:24:02 EDT 2017

On 1 May 2017 at 15:09, Christian <christian at errxtx.net> wrote:

Hey,

> So XR has no future for <100G kit?

Warning largely content free pondering follows.

This is not XR specific, market is no longer driven by service
providers/access networks, but by content networks. And content
networks want ever faster interfaces in ever denser form factor.
1GE is gone, non-LR 10GE is essentially gone.

Service providers are 2nd class citizens, we have to work with what
market produces for content networks. Couple years ago it was possible
to build SP network with L3/MPLS with full DFZ all the way to the
edge. Now those platforms are legacy, largely due to RIB constriction,
and there is nothing coming from vendors to replace those.
The answer for 1GE and 10GE is satellite (yuck!) or L2, so we're  back
to 90s with L2 edges.

I wonder if this is missed opportunity, do vendors really think that
everything is going ever faster rates or is just calculated, is SP
market too small to justify making those 1GE and 10GE optimised
full-DFZ boxes?
Clearly home users aren't driving 10GE, 100GE, 400GE demand, and I
don't anticipate this changing soon. Perhaps vendors still think
market is same as it was 5-10 years ago, where everyone wanted faster
connection on every cycle, but we're now in era where there are
different Internet needs, some of those Internet needs have no need
for higher capacity and never will. I suspect the market of lower rate
ports is larger than vendors think it is.

--
  ++ytti