[c-nsp] Typhoon support on XRe

James Jun james at towardex.com
Mon May 1 13:29:36 EDT 2017

> > I'm pretty sure:
> > - 32-bit IOS-XR will be here for a long time
> > - you can use 10G MPA's in Tomahawk based MOD's
>
> There's a fixed 48x10G Tomahawk LC coming, which was in BRKARC-2003 at
> the last CLEUR/CLUS (I forget which).

Yep, the Powerglide LCs are out and shipping now supposedly:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/datasheet-c78-738704.html

It says line card supports LAN optics only, and that seems vague.  I believe
what the datasheet meant was that WAN-PHY is not supported (only LAN-PHY), but
at the same time, I'm having hard time finding a list of supported passive
DWDM optics for this card.  I'll have to check with our SE; the supported
DWDM SFP+ module datasheet does not reference this new card, only the Typhoon
24x/36x10G cards.

Due to the way FIA's are arranged, the LC is slightly oversubscribed.
24x10G/1G I believe is rated for 200 Gbps (so it has one Tigershark FIA,
one Tomahawk NP) and 48x is for 400 Gbps (2x Tigershark, 2x Tomahawk NP5s)

Looking at the GPL, the new 24x10G/1G card is a bit cheaper than the equivalent
Typhoon 24x10G card, and takes noticeably less power, as there is single NPU
and FIA complex driving the whole card.  So it does seem like cost effective
upgrade for new greenfield A9K deployments.

Cisco seems to recommend A9K-MOD200-(TR|SE)-RL-B= for smaller density
requirements (MOD160, MOD80 use cases).

> Same slides also gave some details for the ASR 9901, but then were
> updated and this disappeared - it seemed similar to 48x10G internally :)

Knowing Cisco, I have a feeling most of Typhoon is going to go EOS sooner than
we'd prefer to think.  It's going to get progressively harder to maintain 32-bit
code simultaneously with 64-bit in the long run, hence why new Tomahawk 10G cards
are out to encourage customers to migrate as their equipment life cycles come up.

Best,
James