[c-nsp] Typhoon support on XRe

Christian christian at errxtx.net
Mon May 1 17:11:54 EDT 2017

On 01/05/17 22:21, Tom Hill wrote:

> The 24x10G Typhoon card was always an expensive sod, but the
> oversubscription (in terms of PPS) was very, very low. A good card if
> you're taking on a lot of DoS traffic regularly, but part of the reason
> it's so damned expensive.

The tomahawk based card is not much cheaper. Our traffic didn't increase
much over the last years, so it's hard to effort these expensive high
dense cards at the moment. So pretty bad time to invest into Cisco gear
here at the moment.

> So that's one school of thought. On the other hand, I personally expect
> QNX to live on a lot longer, in order to provide support for the droves
> of 9001s bought by big customers for aggregation work.
>
> We shall have to see, but I'm certainly an advocate of buying into
> RSP880-RL and MOD200(-RL) instead of any Typhoon based gear, if you can.
> It's been good advice since the MOD200 appeared, I think.

RSP440 is going EOS this summer, so not much left to chose from. :-/

--
Christian Meutes - Wiesbaden, Germany
JESK-RIPE - tel:+49.176.32370305