[c-nsp] IOS(-XE) 'configure replace' robustness

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed May 3 12:44:11 EDT 2017

On 3 May 2017 at 18:45, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey James,

> However “show run “ shows me the full config is there. So that’s a
> step forwards, all the config is being applied (it seems the config
> parser for "configure replace" is very picky!), but the router
> indicates it has failed so once my TAC engineer is back from holiday,
> is sticking time. Just before they went on holiday they said they had
> been working with the BU relating to the config parser and an internal
> defect had been opened so a public bug ID maybe be formed, we shall
> wait and see, but they didn't say why the internal defect was opened
> so that is another mystery too (was it because the parser has leading
> white space issues? Or was it because it shows an operation as failed
> when it was successfull? Or was it because it can't roll back when an
> operation failed?).

Thanks for your input. Personally I believe if startup-config is
accepted, then 'config replace' should be accepted. Personally I do
not do anything with 'configure replace' which expect to see
post-parser config, that dilutes value of automation so much it makes
it near worthless. Cleanly designed configuration generation will not
produce clean-post-parser config. Only really fugly domain specific
code will do that.
I hope IOS-XE gets this sorted. I don't care if it's via netconf of
CLI, I just want to be able to give it full working config.

--
  ++ytti