[c-nsp] Best practise/security design for BGP and OSPF

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Fri May 26 07:44:57 EDT 2017

Hi

Don't use ttl check on iBGP sessions, it doesn't add any security.

Regarding OSPF unless you are using virtual-links or sham-links, then all
messages are bound to a directly connected subnet so you can safely
implement the ttl check with 254 (one hop).

Regarding securing PE-RR iBGP sessions, there's nothing that can be done
from security perspective, other than maybe the obligatory MD5 hash, cause
at this stage it's too late or way too complex to implement any security.
The BGP infrastructure has to be protected at the edges of the AS.

Maybe the only other thing that you can enable if not enabled by default and
supported is the BGP enhanced attribute error handling (or even BGP
attribute filtering -but again that if implemented should be done at the
edge).

But just checked and the enhanced attribute error handling is enabled by
default on XE 3S and IOS 15. and XR 4.3.

adam

netconsultings.com

::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::