[c-nsp] Cisco 4506 dhcpv6 interface-id, remote-id

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Wed May 31 07:42:54 EDT 2017

Hi,

I have multiple c4506 with 80 port linecards in a dhcp based point to point ftth deployment.

We already use dhcp option82 circuit-id for identifying customer ipv4 assignments in the dhcp server.

  ip dhcp snooping vlan 10 information option format-type circuit-id override string <ourlineid>

This is good as it allows us to provision our lineid to be used for the circuit-id value.

For ipv6 I was intending to use dhcpv6 options 18 or 37 for interface-id or remote-id.

Sadly both seem to provide non user configurable values that are only unique in context of the router in question.

Option18 provides us with: Gi2/3

Option37 provides binary data that does also not inlucude a hostname.

Gi2/3 is of course not unique in a network of more than one switch.

It seems to be the whole feature is utterly useless.  I have also not found a single cisco platform that would provide user configurable ipv6 opt18 or 37.

Is a feature like this somewhere on the roadmaps  for the c4506 platform ?

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                   CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de               Wildberger Weg 24/2