[c-nsp] Juniper MX240 & MX480

Chris Welti chris.welti at switch.ch
Wed Nov 1 06:54:55 EDT 2017

The 3rd-Gen (EA) Trio chip is actually rated at 480G, has been rate-limited to 240G in MPC7e and MPC8e linecards and
is currently rate-limited to 400G in the MPC9e cards and the 10003 MPC.
I have no idea why it is rate-limited but suspect thermal issues?
See the book Juniper MX Series, 2nd Edition by David Roy, Harry Reynolds, Douglas Richard Hanks

The documentation of the MX10003 MPC clearly says it's 1.2T per card:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/mpc10003-overview.html

System capacity of the MX10003 chassis is claimed to be 4.8T, so either there might be future MPC line cards with 2.4T
or they are counting capacity per direction ;)
https://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/routing/mx-series/mx10003/

Chris