[c-nsp] Nexus 7707 as Internet Edge Router?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Nov 16 02:49:54 EST 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:03:50PM +0100, ??ukasz Bromirski wrote:
> 2901 supports VRRP.

Yes, but not VRRPv3 for IPv6 (at least in the code base we've rolled
out, haven't investigated if it's in some sort of 15.6T or later).

> Those things are ???PI??? code (Platform Independent).

Right, so why is there no HSRPv2 on ASR920, or EIGRP on NCS5000, or static
LSPs on 6500?  These are all control plane features, independent off the
underlying hardware.

> As soon as you hit hardware dependencies however in platforms that
> offload something to hardware??? yes, world isn???t a fairy tale, no matter which
> vendor you decide to lock-in-to.

I fully understand hardware limitations, coming from a world full of
6500 :-) - and the 6500/7600 split was a good example of "no, these lacking
features have nothing to do with hardware capabilities".

Things like missing EIGRP or HSRPv2 cannot even be properly explained
with BU in-fighting (like, OTV vs EVPN) if the code is already there for
the OS used...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de