[c-nsp] General ME3600 software stability

Lukas Tribus lists at ltri.eu
Fri Oct 20 10:31:28 EDT 2017

Hello,

> I need to be on at least 15.4(3)S1 to resolve all the bugs on my current list,
> and while reviewing the ME3600 specific release notes for 15.4S and 15.5S
> (http://tinyurl.com/yc9uudvz), it seems to me that generally speaking, the 15.5S
> train as a whole has far, far, FAR fewer feature additions than the 15.4S train.
>
> That seems to suggest to me that 15.5S is focusing heavily on bug fixes than
> features, so 15.5S would likely be the obvious choice.

It's not like they took the decision to create a particularly stable
train; but as the
platform is EOL, and now past EOS [1], the amount of new features naturally
declines and is now down to zero in 15.6 [2].

I'm using both 15.4 and 15.5 in production right now, but 15.4 is
EOLed  ([3]) and the
15.5 EOL is announced ([4]), along with the suggestion to move to 15.6(2)SP.

Now I'm not gonna jump on the 15.6 train anytime soon, but 15.5 is
definitely the "go to"
train right now, except if your trust Cisco's advice and make the jump
to 15.6 (good luck).

cheers,
lukas

[1] https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/me-3600x-series-ethernet-access-switches/eos-eol-notice-c51-738038.html