[c-nsp] General ME3600 software stability

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Oct 22 13:48:14 EDT 2017

On 20/Oct/17 15:06, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> Hello!
>
> For those running (a lot of?) ME3600s (24FS) in your network - I’m probing to see what your views are on the current state of software stability on those boxes.
>
> I’ve got a couple hundred of these in the field, and it took almost 4 years before the code was stable, so when we found that stable version, we latched onto it out of sheer terror of going through another few years of hell, and as such, we’ve been on that code for almost the last 4 years.
>
> I need to be on at least 15.4(3)S1 to resolve all the bugs on my current list, and while reviewing the ME3600 specific release notes for 15.4S and 15.5S (http://tinyurl.com/yc9uudvz), it seems to me that generally speaking, the 15.5S train as a whole has far, far, FAR fewer feature additions than the 15.4S train.  That seems to suggest to me that 15.5S is focusing heavily on bug fixes than features, so 15.5S would likely be the obvious choice.
>
> What’s the collective's experience around this?

While we've been actively deploying the ASR920 for the past 1.5 years,
there are still a handful of ME3600X's in the network. We are running
15.5(3)S2 on those, and report no issues really. Been solid.

But yes, back in the days of 12.2EY (c. 2009 - 2012), the instability of
the box was legendary. It has been a very instrumental platform for the
development of MPLS-In-The-Access, so it will always have a special
place in my heart...

Mark.