[c-nsp] OSPF equal cost load balancing

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 15:42:10 EDT 2017

On 1 September 2017 at 02:02, Patrick Cole <z at amused.net> wrote:
> James,
>
> Interesting you should mention the PPPoE thing as all of our ASR920 P/PE are
> deployed using BDI for NNI facing interfaces and we carry bucketloads
> PPPoE traffic across them all without any issues.
>
> The only thing I had to be weary of was accidentally putting two service
> instances in the bridge domain for the NNI IP interface as it would spit a
> ASIC programming error for FRR and start blackholing some labeled traffic.
> But as long as you're meticulous about that it seems fine.
>
> Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 09:12:05AM +0100, James Bensley wrote:
>> https://null.53bits.co.uk/index.php?page=mpls-over-phy-vs-eff-bdi-svi

Interesting! I maybe mis-remembering as it was about 6+ months ago but
we had ASR920s and ME3600s both running pseudowires back to central
ASR1001s, and maybe the problem was with the ASR1001s instead of the
ASR920s. Whichever device type it was (I thought it was the ASR920s
though) I asked TAC and they confirmed it's not supported (pseudowires
with PPPoE payload when the core facing interface is a BDI).

I searched and searched my self and couldn't find any documentation
saying that it wasn't supported, TAC did eventually show me some
documentation that said it wasn't supported.

(In-fact yes, it was the ASR1001, re-reading my table linked above, in
none of the permutations is the ASR1001 listed as working when
transporting PPPoE with a BDI core interface. I have such a bad
memory, that is why I have to write this stuff down :S )

Cheers,
James.