[c-nsp] ISIS/BFD Monitoring

Alex K. nsp.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 06:25:04 EDT 2017

The real issue with IP SLA probes, in my humble opinion, is their sheer
number.

We really tried to use those, thank god that customer NMS supports doing it
centrally (from NMS console), but still - we find those really
unmanageable. Manual configuration for the sake of monitoring, is a bit
outdated, in my humble opinion. But still, we do use them. Syslog messages
aren't easier either. Especially when it comes to translate those into an
alarm.

Anyhow, we're going give RouteExplorer a try. Hopefully, it all can by tied
down to one central NOC console (by regular SNMP magic and usual rain
dancing).

Maybe one day, ISIS down SNMP trap, will include additional information
(such as the interface in question, ifIndex), in addition to the mysterious
ISIS session ID.

בתאריך 18 בספט' 2017 9:14 AM,‏ "Graham Beneke" <graham at enetworks.co.za> כתב:

We have a similar challenge monitoring OSPF over layer-2 providers who
don't drop the physical port in a link failure.

We run syslog but find that it doesn't provide useful information of
state for the NOC guys. Most of the guys logging faults with vendors
don't understand the states and what they mean.

We have a set of threshold alerts on our NMS which flag when traffic
levels drop extremely low. This works well for major links that always
have traffic.

We also have setup "ip sla" on some links. The status of the ip sla can
then be polled by the NMS over SNMP to detect the state of the link.