[c-nsp] Internet speed

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Aug 15 04:55:24 EDT 2018

On 15/Aug/18 10:36, Giles Coochey wrote:

> You get what you pay for really, if you buy a residential connection,
> which has contention in the small print, no guarantees of service in
> the contract and then start to use it for business use then it's a
> case of caveat emptor.

Agreed.

There appears to be an unrealistic expectation that you can obtain all
manner of service (technical, support, training, hardware, e.t.c.) for
an Internet service regardless of which product you buy.

"It's just BGP, so I should be able to sell it to any of our customers,
residential, enterprise or service provider", the sales folk will say.
And I say, "Well, if they want BGP, they should upgrade... we have a
product for that."

Like the little kid that doesn't understand when they board the plane
walking past the big comfy chairs, as they walk toward the back, "Daddy,
why aren't we sitting in those ones there; they look nice and
comfortable, with a lot of space, just like at home?"

> Enterprise customers (with a business contract and strict SLA) can be
> asked to produce traceroutes (to prove everything is on-net), run
> iperf on clean systems directly connected to CPEs, etc... Start doing
> that with a residential customer and you'll quickly reach the point
> where they haven't got a clue what you're saying.

We've stopped worrying about the lack of clue. What we worry about now
is what is the cost of troubleshooting (sometimes, truck rolls) vs. the
revenue the customer generates us. If the cost to troubleshoot is way
higher than the revenue over a given period for a given troubleshooting
cycle, we'll let the customer know that we will charge them if we find
the fault to be theirs.

This has offered quite a bit of incentive into the customer being
absolutely serious before they call with a complaint.

Mark.