[c-nsp] VLAN 1 troubles?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Aug 26 16:59:27 EDT 2018

On 26/Aug/18 22:15, John Osmon wrote:

> Yeah.  I've already moved things to another VLAN, but it was nice in a
> lab setting to be able to "just plug in" while testing things.

I have a US$70 Netgear 8-port "unmanaged" Ethernet switch that forms a
key part of my home LAN. I just plugged everything into that and it's
all good :-).

Enterprise and Service Provider switches are what they used to call
"managed" Ethernet switches. So in many cases, just plugging in and
going should work, but that would be too underkill for said switches.

> I figured someone else would've gotten caught on the same issue and
> had some insight.

I run out of count on the number of VLAN 1 related issues I ran into
years ago.

Since 2005, I decided that VLAN 1 is as about as useful as admin/admin.

Mark.