[c-nsp] ASR 99xx IOS-XR images are all EoL/EoS?

Erik Sundberg ESundberg at nitelusa.com
Fri Dec 21 00:38:46 EST 2018

So we purchased ASR9906 while they were on new product hold and not even listed on the website at the time. At the end of 2017. They were delivered in 2018 we have installed 7 of them with a 8th sitting on a pallet.

>From the get go we made the decision to run 64-bit. We started out with 6.3.1 and Cisco BU recommend that we run 6.3.2. So we deployed with 6.3.2, we also have one router running 6.3.3.

We had a couple of minor issues
-Converting the router from 32-bit to 64-bit required a patch from Cisco due to software signing. Not a big deal just took a couple weeks to get.
-Couple of cosmetic bugs, that should be fixed now. Mainly showing 10 slots instead of 6 slots.
-We ran in to a TCP bug in 6.3.2 that was fixed in 6.3.3 This cause some BGP/NSR sessions to drop on the standby RSP. This was not service impacting.

Besides that we have been very happy with the 9906's and IOS-XR 64bit.

Service we run standard on our routers nothing too fancy.
Core: ISIS, BFD, iBGP
Layer 2 Services: L2VPN EoMPLS and VPLS
Layer3: Internet IPv4/IPv6 and MPLS L3VPN