[c-nsp] ASR 99xx IOS-XR images are all EoL/EoS?

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 05:43:59 EST 2018

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 20:01, Charles Spurgeon
<c.spurgeon at austin.utexas.edu> wrote:
> > Does anyone have info on what is going on? What are people running on
> > their ASR 99xx platforms?

64 bit IOS-XR.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 20:21, Tom Hill <tom at ninjabadger.net> wrote:

> It matters deeply which 99xx, and what supervisor(s) you have in it.

What Tom said ^

It's not ideal if you have older RSPs or Triden or Typhoon cards but
yeah migrating to newer RSPs and line cards is the way we are going
and using 64 bit IOS-XR.

> In this instance I suspect the 9904 is witnessing a push from Cisco to
> move their customers towards 3rd generation supervisors and above;
> that's RSP-880[-RL] and newer in the 9904's case. This will be because
> those generations support the 64-bit variant of IOS-XR.

Did you mean RSP880-LT? RL is the rate limited version down to 440Gbps
which is license to 880Gbps.

> Whether you wish to run 64-bit IOS-XR is another matter. Whether or not
> your line cards (e.g. 2nd gen "Typhoon" cards) that work just fine with
> the RSP-880[-RL] on 32-bit code, will boot with the 64-bit XR code, is
> another matter again -- I was fairly sure they could not fit it in RAM.

Yeah it isn't great. For new boxes we are deploying 64bit capable RSPs
and Tomahawk cards from the get-go to get the longevity but for older
boxes it's a head scratcher.

> I applaud Cisco for moving away from QNX, but I haven't heard anything
> positive about the 64-bit XR variant as yet. YMMV.

We use it in the same way we have been using 32 bit so I can't it's
anything to shout about, i.e. bugs aside it "just works", which is
what I would expect.

Cheers,
James.