[c-nsp] Dual Homed Site with L2 Backup

Richard Clayton sledge121 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 04:57:33 EST 2018

Thanks for the replies

In the current topology the customer connects the L2 circuit directly to
their core L2/L3 switches which I have no control over.  When the L2 is
connected and the tunnel is up a L2 loop forms and because spanning-tree is
not forwarded over VXLAN or OTV tunnels, it can't be used to detect and
block loops.  To counter this I enabled spanning-tree on the two 4431 (MST)
and gave them both the lowest bridge priorities in the tree.  I also
enabled root guard on 4431-2 LAN interface.  When all is connected 4431-2
sees a superior root advertised into its LAN interface (from 4431-1),
4431-2 then blocks this interface and as a result blocks the loop.  When
the L2 p2p is dropped 4431-2 stops seeing the superior root and unblocks
the port allowing the tunnel path to be the new L2 path between the sites.
I tested this with different customer spanning tree modes and with both
VXLAN and OTV, both worked well and failed over consistently using the root
guard feature.

Observations - Configurations
* Even though VXLAN isn't officially supported on the 4431 it works
flawlessly.
* With the throughput license enabled I was pushing 900Mb/s over the tunnel
and the 4431 CPUs were running at 2%.
* Spanning-tree can't be used to detect and block loops but root guard can
be used to detect a superior root and in practice blocks the loop.
* I costed out the link from customer core L2 to 4431-2.
* I always used MST on the 4431s but tested MST and Rapid PVST on the
customer side.

It would be interesting to test the other suggestions you guys have made.

Thanks
Rick

gamma.co.uk