[c-nsp] Nexus 3548 and VDCs

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Mon Feb 26 12:05:23 EST 2018

Hi Mike, please see inline below:

At 06:06 AM 2/25/2018  Sunday, Mike Hammett gushed:
>We recently upgraded our Nexus 3548 from version 6.0(2)A1(1d) to
>version 7.0(3)I7(3). We can get in from one of the trunk ports
>feeding the switch, but there is no traffic passing through to other ports.
>
>I'm not fully versed on the process as I wasn't the one doing it,
>just putting in keyboard time looking for resolutions.
>
>1) Cisco doesn't seem to list any documentation for NX-OS 7 on the
>3548, yet 7 is the only available software download on their support
>site. Some of the links take me to the 3600. No idea if that's correct.

N3548 is integrated into the "Nexus 3000" doc set for 7.x. The 7.x
train is now a converged software release train with a single "nxos"
image for all n9k and n3k, including 3548. One exception is the 3600
series (broadcom jericho+ based), the plan is to integrate that
platform later this year. Definitely don't use the 3600 docs for 3548.

The image management and boot model is a bit different in 7.x, there
is no kickstart for example just one 'nxos' image. The process of
converting/upgrading from 6.x to 7.x can be a bit tricky, if not
performed according to the documentation here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus3000/sw/upgrade/7_x/b_Cisco_Nexus_3500_Series_NX-OS_Software_Upgrade_and_Downgrade_Guide_Release_7x/b_Cisco_Nexus_3500_Series_NX-OS_Software_Upgrade_and_Downgrade_Guide_Release_7x_chapter_010.html

For one thing you mentioned you went from 6.0(2)A1(1d) to version
7.0(3)I7(3). Not sure how you did that, but the doc above does state
"An upgrade to Cisco NX-OS Release 7.0(3)I7(2) is supported only from
Cisco NX-OS Release 6.0(2)A8(7b) or higher releases."

In any case, suggest you engage TAC to help recover this switch if
you have not done so already.

>2) It looks like along the way, we got a vdc section added to our
>config, but the only instance of vdc I can find applies to 7000
>series switches. Is that supposed to be there? Should I just follow
>the 7000's config for VDCs?

This is expected, all nexus in 7.x will have a 'default VDC' config
section. Only n7k allows you to configure additional VDCs. There
shouldn't be much if any config modification required in the VDC config.

Hope that helps,
Tim