[c-nsp] me3600 ospf %100 cpu blowup

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Jan 12 15:02:59 EST 2018

Hi,

    I have an me3600x that runs ospf and carries just a few eompls
tunnels and tts been running for 2 1/2 years without a hiccup. It's a
hub in the middle connecting a few other odd me3600', asr-920's and
asr10000.

    This morning, it stopped exchanging routes with one router (an
asr1000, directly attached) which logged messages about LDP being down
and too many ospf retransmissions.  Doing 'clear ip ospf 1 process' on
the me3600x alleviated the problem for a while, and then it happened
again. After a few go arounds trying to get logs and finding no smoking
gun, and hitting clear ip ospf 1 process again.. the whole box freaked
out and ospf went to nearly %100 cpu and at that point we were dead dead
dead.

    Using oob management I was able to get back in, again no obvious
logs, clear ip ospf 1 process and all was good. For about 5 minutes.
Then ospf spiked again. I finally did a reload on the box assuming there
must be some kind of real internal memory corruption. So far it's been
holding since reload.

    Does this smell like a bug that anyone has run into before? My
software is me360x_t-universalk9-mz.154-3.S2.bin and while a bit dated
has been stable...until today.

Thank you.

Mike-