[c-nsp] Upgrading from 3.0.6 to Denali-16.3.5b

Tristan Gulyas evilzardoz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 08:44:04 EST 2018

Hi,

On 3850 multigigabit switches (12X48U, 24XS or 24XU), I'm seeing around 20 minutes from reboot to restoration of service, even on stacks.  I seem to recall the 24U models run quicker as they have less ASIC resources for programming.  This seems fairly consistent.  Are you using TFTP/SCP to transfer files? I've found that some transfers go at a glacial speed (at the point where they will time out occasionally); Cisco's recommendation to copy to local flash first improves the situation, but makes this a three step process (copy, reboot, clean).

We upgraded a test/QAT model last week that caused every switch in that layer 2 domain (~30 building distribution stacks) to learn EVERY MAC address on the network, which exceeded the 3750X MAC address table limits...

Downgrading the code made the issue disappear.

We're still on a 3.7.x engineering release and targeting 16.3.5b for improvements in stacking stability and auto-upgrade features we specifically requested.

Cheers,
Tristan