[c-nsp] Multihomed OTV on CSR Lab - Mac Address Issue

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Jan 30 07:54:15 EST 2018

Hey,

> Aaron Gould
> Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 7:08 PM
>
> I'm just trying to learn about OTV as I haven't heard much about it...  is
OTV
> an IETF standard ?
>
> Also, I wonder why I would use one of these (EVPN, VX-LAN, OTV) over the
> other ?  let me know if those 3 don't belong in the same comparison
family.

While on it you might as well read about the rest of the family
(Fabric-Path, TRILL, 802.1ah PBB and naturally PBB-EVPN) so you get the full
picture. (so we basically have MAC-in-MAC, MAC-in-IP, MAC-in-MPLS)

Fabric-Path, TRILL, VXLAN are mostly used within the DC.
- to facilitate load-sharing and as a result better use of available DC
switch fabric capacity.
While OTV, VPWS, VPLS, EVPN, PBB, PBB-EVPN are used for DC-Interconnect.
- to connect DC at L2 basically building huge L2 domains (all that just so
that the VMware VMotion can work between DCs -sad, init?)
- but SPs found another use case for some of these and that is Carrier
Ethernet services and the whole MEF umbrella.

And then there's the whole fun around stitching the Intra-DC protocols to
the Inter-DC protocols while maintaining load-sharing and avoiding loops.

If I was building a green field DC my first choice would be NCS5k or QFX5k
-so that I have traffic engineering and SDN capabilities within the DC in
order to be able to better distribute elephant flows around the fabric and
as a bonus I'd get seamless integration with the MPLS core (same transport
technology in access, aggregation, core, DC and an end-to-end control via
common controller).

With regards to the load-sharing in L2
 -problem is you'll never get IP like load-sharing in L2 since Ethernet is
fundamentally flawed in this regard as it just can't associate same mac
address with two ports.

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::