[c-nsp] two routing engines

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Mar 8 17:20:07 EST 2018

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018, harbor235 wrote:

> In a HA configuration (dual rail) do I really need two route processors per
> chassis? What does the extra cost really get me?  ISSU that does not always
> work?

Less disruptive failover.  Depending on the platform, connection state
might be shared with the backup RP, so your recovery from an RP failure
might be more seamless.  Also, if the devices you're using have any
single-homed connections on them, they're down if you have an RP failure
and no backup RP.

On the Nexus 7K platform, the supervisor failover has worked reliably.

jms