[c-nsp] spanning-tree for local switching on ASR920

Nick Cutting ncutting at edgetg.com
Tue Mar 13 14:09:22 EDT 2018

Well in some of the earlier guides (16.5 and below) it is explicitly stated that MST only supported on EVC tagged ports:

"Untagged EVCs do not participate in MST loop detection"

16.6 and 16.7 Documentation, doesn't mention this restriction.

So I guess to run STP with the client facing ports - the EVC ports need to be trunks, OR normal dot1q service instanaces - they need to tag their traffic. (this works and RSTP works in 16.6 as other have stated)

Trying to do it under an normal EVC fails when I try and pop the tag towards the client.

ASR920(config-if-srv)#rewrite ingress tag pop 1
ASR920(config-if-srv)#rewrite egress tag pop 1
Warning: Egress filtering rule fails due to encap set on SrvInst 900 (Gi0/0/0)

OR:
rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
rewrite egress tag pop 1
 Rewrite egress is not allowed with symmetric option on ServInst 1(Gi0/0/1)

If the encapsulation is set to untagged, or default, it is immediately removed as a candidate for STP.
Of the encapsulation is set to dot1q all - Watch out! It sets up a spanning tree instance all the way to the box limit (128 VLans)

This does work, with a tagged client frame and lets you run STP:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1
 no ip address
 media-type rj45
 negotiation auto
 cdp enable
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree link-type point-to-point
 service instance 1 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 900
  rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
  l2protocol peer cdp stp
  bridge-domain 900

So I just don't think this is possible with an untagged frame on the client side - unless anyone else has any ideas?