[c-nsp] PPPoE termination on ASR9K without SE linecards

George Giannousopoulos ggiannou at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 06:22:38 EDT 2018

Hello all,

I hope for a positive answer on this.. Has anyone tried to terminate PPPoE
on ASR9K *without SE LCs*, *but with SE RSPs*?

I know I can terminate PPPoE on RSP which will affect system scalability in
terms of sessions, but is it mandatory to have SE LCs as well? When I asked
Cisco they suggested a SE LC with SE RSP, but they didn't provide a clear
answer *why* a SE LC is needed.

Has anyone tried that or can confirm it's officially supported and why?

Thanks,
George