[c-nsp] mVPN mroute flags

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue May 29 08:36:42 EDT 2018

> Mattias Gyllenvarg
> Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:05 PM
>
> Dear All
>
> Does anyone know the function of the "n - BGP C-Mroute suppressed  " flag
> as seen below?
>
> IP Multicast Routing Table
> Flags: D - Dense, S - Sparse, B - Bidir Group, s - SSM Group, C -
Connected,
>        L - Local, P - Pruned, R - RP-bit set, F - Register flag,
>        T - SPT-bit set, J - Join SPT, M - MSDP created entry, E -
Extranet,
>        X - Proxy Join Timer Running, A - Candidate for MSDP Advertisement,
>        U - URD, I - Received Source Specific Host Report,
>        Z - Multicast Tunnel, z - MDT-data group sender,
>        Y - Joined MDT-data group, y - Sending to MDT-data group,
>        G - Received BGP C-Mroute, g - Sent BGP C-Mroute,
>        N - Received BGP Shared-Tree Prune, n - BGP C-Mroute suppressed,
>        Q - Received BGP S-A Route, q - Sent BGP S-A Route,
>        V - RD & Vector, v - Vector, p - PIM Joins on route,
>        x - VxLAN group
>

> (Cust-SOURCE, Cust-MROUTE), 00:00:04/00:02:55, flags: Tn   <-----
>   Incoming interface: Lspvif22, RPF nbr <RP in source PE>, Mbgp
>   Outgoing interface list:
>     BDI-CUST, Forward/Sparse, 00:00:04/00:03:25

Well with BGP c-mcast you're basically translating the customer PIM messages
received from attached CE into a BGP routes on PEs -so that you don't need
to run c-PIM full mesh between all PEs participating in a given mVPN (and
for each mVPN) -which is simply not practical.
And same as PIM messages can be supressed in various scenarios (PIM Join
suppression/PIM register suppression) -the resulting BGP updates (PIM msgs
translated into BGP routes) can be suppressed too, to reduce the unnecessary
messaging churn.

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::