[c-nsp] BGP DFZ convergence time - FIB programming

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Thu Oct 11 17:47:27 EDT 2018

> There is nothing to stop me creating a horribly complex iBGP policy

Decent bgp implementation should not allow iBGP learned routes to be
subject to any bgp policy as doing so will easily result with inconsistent
routing. So on this ground there can be bgp code path differences on how
the routes are processed.

But if you have accept all policy for eBGP without any inbound
modifications (match/set) then iBGP vs eBGP should indeed be pretty
similar. Other processing ie. best path selection, rib insertion then fib
insertion should be quite similar timing wise regardless of the type of the
route.

Thx,
R.