[c-nsp] understanding the IP SLA "icmp-jitter" calculations

Nathan Lannine nathan.lannine at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 14:27:26 EDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 2:07 PM Martin T <m4rtntns at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> > I could be wrong, but doesn't the output you provided above represent 1
> ms of jitter?
>
> Yes, but the output of "sh ip sla statistics" in my first e-mail shows
> that RTT(round-trip time) is 1ms.

You might call it a bug or a feature, but I suspect the "RTT: 1" means 1 ms
jitter.  That is to say a TAC case might turn into a "feature request" for
more thoughtful output instead of a bug report.  I also suspect the output
would be fully populated as expected if you changed your IP SLA type to
icmp instead of an icmp-jitter measurement.  I guess the question is if you
can trigger something off of it or measure it as expected off-box despite
the UI output.