[c-nsp] ASR920 and EEM:Mandatory.dualrate_eem.tcl

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Aug 26 16:24:42 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 02:46:19PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> does anyone know what "EEM:Mandatory.dualrate_eem.tcl" is?

So, now I know - thanks to all who answered.

I'm not sure I wanted to know in the first place, and now I do not
know if I'm scared or morbidly fascinated.

The hacker in me ("let's see if we can make this work, somehow") is
morbidly fascinated by having a mechanism in the box that is able
to change config (loopback, vty) to telnet(!?) into the box, put
files into bootflash, mount a tmpfs from there, then do other things,
but is *not* able to "just do the right thing directly".

Also, what is wrong with the good old "these ports are not automatic
dual-speed ports, so if you insert an 1G transceiver, you get a log
message that you tells you to configure 'speed 1G' to make it work"?

The operator in me starts to understand how "you have MPLS configured
on one port" can lead to "all 1G ports stop forwarding" now (we had one
box where the 1G part just died, and TAC refused to swap it because
we had MPLS configured on the 10G links, so "IT MUST BE THAT BUG!").

And I do not want to be close to these boxes anymore.  What is in there
scares me.

So, if I need EoMPLS/VPLS capability (12-24 1G ports, 2-4 10G ports,
plain point-to-point pseudowires, or pseudowires with a local switching
instance - VPLS or EVPN), what other vendors build such a box and do
not hide madness inside?  Conceptually similar to the ASR920, that is,
no full table, small footprint / fairly low power consumption, etc.

gert