[c-nsp] ASR 920 Netflow limitations (was: Cisco 8000)

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Dec 19 04:08:02 EST 2019

On Sun, 2019-12-15 at 19:07 +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> That's why I don't complain about the ASR920 not doing Netflow (does
> it now, I heard rumours).

The ASR920 only does a handicapped version of Netflow. It is limited to
16K flow entries, cannot sample, can only handle unicast traffic and
cannot handle more than 1 Gbps traffic. All due to "FPGA limitations",
which sounds like something the cannot be solved with newer software.

It also doesn't timestamp the flow records, something that I guess
might be solved in a future release.

Limitations are described here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/configuration/guide/netmgmt/16-12-1/b-fnf-xe-16-12-asr920.html#id_26881

--