[c-nsp] Cisco 8000

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Dec 20 11:26:17 EST 2019

On 20/Dec/19 17:02, James Bensley wrote:

> That's one of the reasons I like XR at the each, the RPL is great.
> Also even if you're behind on your automation jazz, the reality is
> that having "commit" functionality on the CLI which doesn't apply
> config if it's syntactically invalid *is* helping to reduce errors at
> the edge.

We have a decently-trained Engineering and Operations team. Much of the
provisioning is cookie-cutter, so the chances of mistakes only happen
when there is a deviation in the process, e.g., when a new feature or
service is being introduced, which is the exception and not the rule.

> Yeah I won't deny I really like this about classical IOS and IOS-XE
> and I'm saddened that Cisco still haven't sorted out IOS-XR in this
> regard.

Even Junos is quite easy to upgrade. One, maybe two reboot steps, and no
need for complicated SMU's. This is why we are fine with the MX204 in
the Access.

Mark.