[c-nsp] Rant: ASR1000 MPLS (not) load-balancing

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Dec 31 08:58:28 EST 2019

Thanks for sharing,
This sucks, but at least it's limited to load-sharing over bundle members only (as opposed to ECMP load-sharing) right?

I was going to object that this can't possibly be by design cause what if I have 100 labels on the packet, then I realized that ASR1k's QFP gets the whole packets not just the first N bytes, so I guess I can see the thought process like "since we are getting the whole packet we might as well look into IP header and balance based on what we'll find there".
And I'm not sure if at the time of ASR1k design the methods to indicate flow using label/label-stack were around, but I would have thought that the problems related to PW traffic load-sharing were known already, suggesting that making the parser look for v4/v6 in bundle scenario as a hard and fast rule might not be the right way forward? (After all they got it right in the ECMP scenario right?...)

adam