[c-nsp] Pseudowire and load-balancing - revisit

James Jun james at towardex.com
Wed Feb 13 09:51:35 EST 2019

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 09:25:18PM +0200, Saku Ytti wrote:

> However, I don't know how packet is parsed at ingress. Based on your
> explanation it seems on ingress side ASR9k only parses ethertype 0x800
> for entropy (and maybe 86dd), 0x8847 it does not try to parse for
> entropy, not for labels, not for IP after MPLS. I do not think this is
> hardware limitation, so this is something you need to talk to your
> account team with, ask them to parse 8847 for entropy, be specific, if
> you want 8847+IPV4 be parsed for L3/L4 keys, ask for it.

Thanks! I figured as much.  It seems like ASR9K only creates entropy for
pure IP traffic as passenger traffic entering the PW.  MPLS run over PW by
client user seems to break load balancing completely.

I'll reach out to our account team to see if anyone else had raised this
issue, and see about submitting a feature request.

In the meantime, we'll just have to replace the LAG with 100GE to make
this problem go away.

James