[c-nsp] Max usable RAM on a Cisco 3945E?

Mark Leonard mark at bernoullinetworks.com
Sun Jan 13 13:54:07 EST 2019

Hi all,

I recall reading back in the day that the ISR G2 series (specifically
the 3900s) couldn't address more than 2GB of RAM even though kits were
available for 4GB.  Was this ever resolved through an IOS update?

Situation: I have a (new to me) 3945E that I'd like to have do
multiple peers with full IPv4&v6 tables.  It has 1GB and that's
clearly not enough (started running out of RAM with the first peer).

Are there any FIB/CEF limits that I will end up hitting if I proceed
with the 3945E?  Should I cut my losses and start saving up for an
ASR1k?

Thanks,
Mark