[c-nsp] VB: ASR920 is a ticking timebomb (CSCvk35460)

g at va-dumt.se g at va-dumt.se
Fri Jan 25 14:45:36 EST 2019

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: cisco-nsp <cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net> För Mark Tinka
Skickat: den 25 januari 2019 11:11
Till: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Ämne: Re: [c-nsp] ASR920 is a ticking timebomb (CSCvk35460)

On 24/Jan/19 21:12, James Jun wrote:

> May be this is good time to re-hash discussion about replacing ASR920s
> with something else for 1GE aggregation.

I don't think that's a good-enough reason to oust the box. It's a bug that
"can" be fixed. Focus should be on getting Cisco to see that it's not
unreasonable to expect a network to not reboot a router every so often to
"clear things up", and that high uptime should be expected.

> I hear that Juniper is coming out with a different configuration of
> MX204 with lot of 1GE/10GE SFP+ based ports?  This sounds very exciting to
me.. anyone got any details/timeline/etc?
> The power requirement of MX204 is very good and the box is really easy
> to install at small sites.

I've been talking to Juniper about this very thing - to launch an
MX204-lite, if you will, which focuses on 24 - 48 1Gbps/10Gbps ports, and
40Gbps/100Gbps uplink ports. If they can manage this, then Cisco have a
worthy competitor in this space.

Here's to hoping they listen; I mean, I only started talking them about this
back in 2007, what could go wrong :-)...

Mark.

This is actually kind of interesting, seeing how many reasonably priced
boxes there is int this space for DC switching one would imagine that it
wouldn’t be all that hard. Looking at the chipset that said boxes use many
of them has support for MPLS.
I'm a little bit interested in the NCS-540 for this segment although the
prefix side is a bit thin. I haven’t played with it yet though.
Anyone else run the NCS540 in the Edge role and are there any major
limitations except the 128K ipv4 prefix limit?

//Gustav